Math and Science Teacher - Youth Programs
Do you have experience working with youth and have a passion for alternative education? Do you value small class size and tutoring to build meaningful teacher-student relationships? If you’re interested in supporting young adults achieve their academic and career goals and developing a non-traditional, student-centered classroom that involves learners in curriculum and class decision, then this may be the full time job for you!
In addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, 12 paid holidays and 401k with 3% employer contribution.
- Teach the subject(s) of Math and Science to students of varying abilities as they relate to passing the HiSET. Assess proficiencies of each student. Develop and execute lessons that incorporate critical thinking and problem solving to meet multiple needs of learners, including any content gaps. Incorporate civic engagement, leadership, career, and other life skills-related program competencies.
- Provide opportunities and activities to promote college and job readiness.
- Ensure safe, respectful learning environment.by managing classroom culture and maintaining program expectations.
- Working with the Lead HiSET Instructor to assess student academic skills and competencies. Develop individual education plans connected to progress reports and indicate individual student proficiencies across program competencies. Work with students to determine learning style, interests, and skills; modify plan as needed to support student success.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for current students and alumni, as needed
- Participate in meetings and professional development as assigned
- Complete other projects/duties, as assigned, including, but not limited to, other teaching duties such as providing academic support to alumni, substitute teaching, additional academic or non-academic teaching assignments, non-teaching assignments, computer lab responsibilities, committee work, etc.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- BS/BA in a relevant field plus a minimum of two years of classroom experience working with underserved young adults or equivalent
- HiSET experience/knowledge preferred
- Familiarity with alternative education, project-based learning and School-to-Career practices
- Curriculum development that aligns with Common Core College and Career Readiness Standards
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English speaker a plus
- Ability to teach and use basic technology, familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Must pass MA driver’s license and CORI background checks
Just-A-Start's YouthBuild program engages youth, age 17-24, in service to their communities while enabling members to develop their own academic, vocational, employability, leadership and life skills and to make a successful transition to employment, training and/or post-secondary education. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.
Just-A-Start (JAS)is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building abetter future by providing affordable housing, education, training, communityengagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residentsof Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families tomeet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.