Math / Science Instructor - Youth Programs
Just-A-Start YouthBuild engages youth, ages 16-24, who better their communities while developing academic, employability, and life skills so they can transition into successful employment, training and/or post-secondary education. Visit www.justastart.org to learn more.
Just-A-Start YouthBuild is looking to hire a dedicated youth services professional to help students achieve their full potential. Using a student centered and relationship based approach, the candidate would help our students pass the Math and Science subjects tests of the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET). The ideal candidate would be able to support students with both academic and non-academic concerns, as they prepare to enter the working world.
In addition to an annual salary of $45,000, JAS offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, 12 paid holidays and 401k with 3% employer contribution.
- Teach the subjects of Math and Science to students of varying abilities in an average class size of eight
- Develop and execute bi-weekly lessons that incorporate critical thinking, analyzing, and problem solving skills which meet multiple needs of learners
- Incorporate communication, career and other life skills in the classroom
- Ensure safe, respectful learning environment by managing classroom culture and maintaining program expectations
- Work with the Lead HiSET Instructor to assess student competencies and develop individual education plans connected to progress reports
- Indicate individual student proficiencies across program components
- Collaborate with students to determine learning style, interests, and skills; modify plans as needed to support student success
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for current students and alumni, as needed
- Participate in meetings and professional development as assigned
- Complete other projects/duties, as assigned, including, but not limited to, providing academic support to alumni, substitute teaching, additional academic or non-academic teaching assignments, non-teaching assignments committee work, etc.
Required Job Skills and Experience
- BS/BA in a relevant field plus a minimum of two years of classroom experience (or equivalent) working with underserved young adults
- HiSET experience/knowledge preferred
- Familiarity with alternative education and School-to-Career practices
- Curriculum development aligning with College and Career Readiness Standards
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English speaker a plus
- Ability to teach and use basic technology; familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Must pass MA driver’s license and CORI/SORI background checks
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.