Director of Education and Training
Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS) is seeking a Director of Training and Education to provide operational and strategic leadership for the Education and Training Division, which includes education, training, and human service programs for youth and adults with an annual operating budget of over $2M and approximately 25 employees. JAS works to ensure that individuals of all ages and circumstances, whether in or out of high school, going to college, developing new skills, or exploring career possibilities are on a career pathway with marketable skills and opportunities for a more economically secure future.
The Director is a member of JAS’s executive team, reporting to the Executive Director and will provide day-to-day operational leadership and oversight to program directors, and support existing and develop new partnerships with community, public, philanthropic, education, training organizations, and employers that will support JAS’s mission to build the housing security and economic stability of low- and moderate-income people in Cambridge and nearby communities.
ABOUT JUST-A-START CORPORATION
JAS is a 50-year-old Community Development Corporation offering a wide variety of housing, workforce, and community programs. JAS’s primary service area is Cambridge, a city where economic growth has created substantial wealth, but has left many residents behind and unable to remain and thrive in the increasingly unaffordable city/region. JAS works to counter this trend through its affordable housing development and housing services, and by helping low and moderate-income residents achieve economic resiliency, stability and mobility. JAS Education and Training includes the following adult and youth programs including the Biomedical Careers Program, Information Technology Careers Program, YouthBuild and JAS’s Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Assess and evaluate program performance and make modifications to assure contractual compliance and excellence in meeting expected outcomes
- Identify community needs, trends, and new strategic opportunities based on data and demographic needs that build upon JAS’s core strengths
- Develop and implement new program models in response to identified needs and funding availability in accordance with agency mission
- Develop and maintain professional affiliations with funding agencies, program coalitions and partner organizations, and increase programs’ profile with employers
- Plan and assure adequate funding for programs and services in collaboration with the Resource Development Department
- Facilitate and support Biomedical and IT employer advisory committees
- Program oversight: Develop and monitor programmatic budgets, identify outcome measures and monitor program performance, ensure reporting to funders is completed timely and accurately as well as comply with agency policies and procedures and within city, state and federal agency regulations
- Management staffing and supervision: Recruit, hire, onboard, evaluate and supervise program managers and support a diverse, positive, work culture and professional development through mentorship
- Senior Management Activities: Represent JAS at inter-agency and public sector levels or delegate team members and participate in executive team and board meetings
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Five+ years of experience in a senior management position, preferably with an advanced degree in education, social work or related field or equivalent
- Five+ years of experience in the areas of workforce development, alternative education, youth development, school-to-career and higher education systems or related disciplines, with a focus on serving disadvantaged and/or low-income populations
- Supervising and mentoring program managers; organizing and leading teams
- Planning, implementing, and overseeing budgets
- Use of data to inform program design, development, implementation, and outcomes
- Experience with the development and management of governmental grants
- Superior planning, administrative and organization skills as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, with full proficiency in Excel and Word
- Leadership: Proven leadership experience; a strategic-thinking problem solver who is supports her/his teams’ professional growth, knows how to prioritize, and has the ability to make challenging decisions
- Communication: Clear and concise communicator both verbally and in writing; practices active listening
- Teamwork: A solution-orientated collaborator
- Interpersonal: Experience with and appreciation of cultural and economic diversity
- External: Experience with multi-sector partnerships; an experienced and effective spokesperson with diverse audiences including employers, funders, community partners, and program participants.
- Education and Training: Familiarity with the organizations and individuals in the education and training system (CBO’s, funders, youth programs, workforce development practitioners, community colleges, and government agencies)
- Personal Qualities: A strategic thinker who is aligned with JAS’s mission to help low- to -moderate income individuals and families build economic resiliency.