Home Improvement Loan Program Manager
Just-A-Start (JAS) is seeking a Program Manager to oversee and administer its Home Improvement Program. This position is an opportunity to combine your loan financing and human services skills to assist eligible Cambridge homeowners to make necessary repairs so they can remain in their homes by providing low-interest loans, technical assistance and access to grants. The program is funded by the City of Cambridge with Dept. of Housing & Urban Development funds. The program assists homeowners in the planning, funding and completion of home rehabilitation and repair projects. The Program Manager works with and supervises a part-time Housing Rehab Construction Specialist.
What you will do:
- Inform homeowners of program services, eligibility and application process
- Assist homeowners in completing applications and providing financial information
- Review and evaluate loan applications for eligibility
- Work closely with the Cambridge Community Development Department to submit complete documentation for loan approvals
- With Rehab Specialist, assist homeowners in determining scope of work needed, with a particular focus on correcting Sanitary Code violations, energy conservation improvements, remediating lead-based paint hazards, accessibility improvements, and repair of failing building systems
- Assist in preparation of documents for bid invitations and coordinate distribution of bid packages to qualified contractors
- Review bids/project cost proposals with homeowners
- Draft loan and mortgage documents, obtain signatures, and record documents
- Approve homeowner & contractor/vendor progress & final payment requests
- Assist in resolving any conflicts between homeowner and contractor
- Promote public awareness of the Home Improvement Program with marketing and outreach efforts
- Collaborate with the Cambridge Historical Commission, MassSave, Cambridge Fuel Assistance, Menotomy, Mass Rehab Commission and other as-designated agencies to maximize all project-related grants & funding sources
- On occasion, work with JAS’s YouthBuild program to provide construction experience
- Administer program, prepare financial and case reports, manage relationship with loan servicer, and manage loan portfolio.
You must have:
- Experience in processing and administering loans
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience
- Ability to work and communicate well with homeowners, construction contractors, and non-construction professionals.
- Commitment to working with, and improving housing conditions for, diverse low-to-moderate income families.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Proficiency/ability to quickly learn Housing Developer Pro (project scope and cost estimating software)
- Knowledge of, or commitment to learn about, housing rehab issues, including Sanitary Code, lead paint requirements, and energy efficiency improvements
- Experience with government funded programs preferred
- Bi-lingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- Driver’s License and Vehicle
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more. In addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 12 paid holidays and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution