Chemistry Instructor (part-time/contract position)
Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS) is seeking a Chemistry Instructor to work 12-15 hours a week responsible for teaching college-level chemistry curriculum and biotechnology lab curriculum to our Biomedical Careers Program training participants. Our Biomedical Careers Program, launched in 1992, a nine-month program that prepares local, low-to- moderate-income adults for careers in biotechnology, life science, and medical research industries and supplies local employers with work-ready, diverse employees.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Curriculum Alignment, Classroom Preparation, Documentation/Record Keeping
- Assist with reviewing current, established chemistry curriculum and assure it is aligned to industry.
- Teach cohort of 18 students in chemistry lecture course (spring semester) and co-teach biotechnology lab course (summer semester).
- Prepare materials and equipment for laboratory exercises, maintain lab inventory, and clean/restock lab at the end of each day and at the end of the year.
- Maintain appropriate classroom management while utilizing a variety of teaching methods and strategies to meet the needs of diverse adult student learning styles.
- Maintain and document course preparation (lesson plans, enrichment activities, etc.) and evaluation tools (exams, quizzes, project/portfolio assignments, etc.) and submit as required.
- Assess students’ learning outcomes and prepare progress report for all students.
- Recommend participants in need of additional support services and tutoring.
- Recommend students for job leads based on matched academic aptitude and demonstrated skills. Serve as job reference for students.
- Collaborate with other teachers and Workforce Development staff to ensure that students’ communication abilities and professional skills meet the needs of internship and Post-Secondary Education partners.
- Participate in JAS meetings and events.
- Participate in program development and evaluation activities.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field (Chemistry, Biotechnology, etc.) required; Ph.D. preferred.
- Biotechnology industry experience preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience teaching adults required; Community college teaching experience highly preferred.
- Experience in implementing progressive methodologies and in creating a hands on, interactive learning environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, teamwork, and time management skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse adult learner populations and develop positive relationships with students, colleagues, and staff.
- High level of cultural awareness, respect for, and commitment to working with diverse populations to overcome barriers to success and strong commitment to the mission of Just-A-Start.
Classes start in January 2020 but this position will require some preparation and collaboration with our Biology teacher and the rest of the Workforce Development team in the months leading up to the arrival of students.
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.