Mobility Mentor (Part Time)
Families Moving Forward (FMF) is a new program at Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS) funded by the City of Cambridge’s Community Benefits Advisory Committee. The goal of FMF is to empower 25 families to improve their financial and housing stability and health over a three year period. The program will use a mobility mentoring model inspired by EMPath. Matched savings and participant incentives for reaching goals are part of the model. JAS is the lead agency of FMF working in partnership with the Cambridge Housing Authority, the Cambridge Health Alliance, the Institute for Health and Recovery, Cambridge Family and Children’s Service, and the Community Action Agency for Somerville. Mobility Mentoring training will be provided and the expected start date is March to April 2020. This is a part-time position, approximately 30 hours per week and includes benefits.
Coach and work in partnership with participants as they work to increase their financial and housing stability and health (including behavior and mental health) over three years. The Mobility Mentor will be part of a team rolling out this new program from the beginning, including assisting in recruiting the participants. Assist and support participants in breaking down goals into manageable steps, overcoming barriers, and problem-solving. Work with participants with tools such as an EMPath-inspired Bridge to Stability and Resiliency and incentivized goal-setting. Encourage the participants to form a strong cohort group. Help organize and lead participant group meetings. Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Help recruit a cohort of 25 families to participate in the inaugural community benefits program at Just-A-Start by attending community meetings.
- Be a dedicated Mobility Mentor for 10 participants for three years.
- Meet with each participant at least monthly. Some meetings will be at participant homes or out in the community.
- Maintain contact with participants in between in-person meetings to keep them on track toward their goals.
- Assist participants in regular assessments of their strengths and needs to determine where they are on the “Bridge” and to set goals for themselves based on their long-term vision for their families. Monitor progress on goals.
- Assist participants in overcoming barriers through problem solving, conflict resolution, providing support, and motivational coaching.
- With program team, plan, organize and lead 6 evening meetings per year with all the FMF participants around educational topics and peer support.
- With program team, help develop relationships with resources in Cambridge (including FMF partner organizations) to make effective referrals for participants.
- Attend Advisory Team meetings with community partners.
- Follow a monitoring and evaluation framework to assess the success of the program.
- Enter data and keep records in Salesforce.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with participants to maximize self-determination.
- Understanding of coaching and mentoring practices and skills.
- Cultural competency and ability to establish effective professional relationships with diverse group of participants. Sensitivity to struggles of people who are low-income.
- Experience in delivering strength-based and trauma-informed services.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills and group facilitation skills, problem solving and people skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office and ability to learn Salesforce.
- BS/BA preferred and a minimum of 1 - 3 years in a mentoring/coaching or social services role. Equivalent work or personal experience, along with demonstrated skills, will be considered.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Bengali, Hindi, Portuguese/Cape Verdean Creole, or Amharic preferred.
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.
In addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 12 paid holidays and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.