Senior Project Manager (Real Estate/Housing Development)
Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS) is looking for a Senior Project Manager to join our Real Estate team. Over the past five years, JAS has completed $150 million in affordable housing development projects, and has a pipeline that includes five major new projects (with approximately 250 new apartments and condos), including affordable rental, homeownership, and mixed use developments. JAS’s projects meet the needs of our community with a focus on family housing and green building.
The candidate will report to the Real Estate Director, and would be responsible for managing multiple real estate projects from inception to completion. They would also lead the project team of consultants and professional service firms on each of their projects.
JAS’s Real Estate team consists of five professionals working collaboratively to create quality affordable housing and space for community programs. In addition to the Director, the department currently includes two Project Managers, a Project Associate, and a Director of Acquisitions. These full-time staff are supplemented by part-time asset and construction management consultants. We partner with JAS’s other departments—including Adult Education, Youthbuild, Housing Services, and Communications—and approximately 50 staff to support unique projects and programs building pathways to economic opportunity.
- Manage one to three active projects focusing on budget, scheduling, financing, inspections, design, and permitting.
- Support new development pipeline through feasibility analyses.
- Manage process for development team identification, selection and related negotiations.
- Work closely with the design and construction team on all physical elements of the development process, including contractor selection, construction management, monitoring budgets, schedules, requisitions, reporting and warranty management.
- Manage lease-up and/or sales and marketing activities with property managers and development team, and transition to operational phase of development.
- Manage entire financing closing process.
- Coordinate and facilitate public meetings and presentations.
- Other real estate related projects as assigned.
- BA/BS degree, with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience developing multi-family housing.
- Experience in architecture, planning, real estate development, construction, community development or related field.
- Familiarity with financing sources used for large scale affordable housing development projects, including Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and HUD financing programs.
- Experience with mixed-use or commercial development projects preferred.
- Experience with green building, building science and energy conservation.
- Ability to develop feasibility analyses, create pro formas and monitor project budgets.
- Experience navigating zoning laws, codes and permitting regulations.
- Experience facilitating team and public meetings.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Asana, and Slack preferred.
Salary and Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 13 paid holidays, VTO (Volunteer Time Off), and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
Just-A-Start is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1968, JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.
Just-A-Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds working together in pursuit of common goals. We strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, most JAS staff—including this position—are primarily working remotely, with limited hours in the office. The position will be on-site at JAS headquarters at a future date.