Director of Youth Programs
Just A Start believes that access to stable housing and sustainable careers are the essential building blocks of equitable communities. For more than 50 years, we have focused on meeting the fundamental needs of individuals and families who have been systemically denied opportunities to realize their full potential. Our programs include affordable housing, education and job training, and comprehensive support services, spanning Cambridge and beyond. We have developed and currently maintain 600 affordable apartments. To keep community members housed, we also offer financial and technical assistance to prevent evictions and support low- and moderate-income homeowners. Finally, we prepare individuals of all ages and circumstances with the skills and knowledge they need to secure fulfilling careers, leveraging their talents to achieve economic mobility and strengthen the region’s workforce.
As part of the management team of Just A Start, the Director of Youth Programs will lead the Youth Programs portfolio, including YouthBuild and Mayor’s Summer Youth Employment programs. We are looking for an experienced, visionary leader who can oversee the programs’ internal operations, provide staff management and support, manage external partnerships and funders, and direct the planning and implementation of youth-centered programming in alignment with Just A Start’s mission and vision. The Director of Youth Programs provides leadership and vision to ensure program participants are provided with wraparound services as dictated by the YouthBuild program design, as well as recruit, supervise, and evaluate 10-12 staff members.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Education or equivalent relevant experience highly recommended
- 4+ years of management experience, supervising professional staff, preferably in a human services setting
- 5+ years of experience, connection, and passion for working with the youth population
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of federal, state and local funding contracts
- Familiarity and experience with alternative education, youth development, and workforce development practices
- Excellent oral and writing skills, and experience with report writing and/or grant writing
- Ability to work with a diverse, multicultural staff and participants
- Experience managing multiple funders’ requirements and goals
- Driver’s license, car, and willingness to travel locally to visit community service sites, attend program meetings, etc.
Salary range $70K - $80K, in addition to a competitive salary, JAS offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, VTO, 13 paid holidays and 401k with 3% employer contribution.
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. We value diversity and work together to create an inclusive culture where people from all backgrounds can thrive and belong. Applications from women and people of color are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics or any other characteristic protected by law.