Director of Finance & Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration is a member of the executive leadership team and has overall responsibility for Just A Start’s finances and financial strategy, in addition to oversight responsibilities related to information technology, human resources and other operational functions. Working as a collaborative leader, the Director of F&A is responsible for overseeing management and reporting on all the organization’s fiscal and fiduciary affairs, including reporting to investors, lenders, grantors and government agencies; cash and investment management; budgeting and forecasting; and managing the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department. In addition, the Director of F&A will work closely with the Real Estate Development Team to coordinate oversight of all residential and commercial assets, and advise on the financial aspects of new or contemplated real estate projects.
The Director of F&A collaborates with the Executive Director and other senior staff to develop and implement Just A Start’s business plan in order to meet its strategic goals. The Director of F&A recommends the financial strategy for reaching the organization’s goals, monitors and analyzes financial results. The Director of F&A will be responsible for managing five finance staff - including controller, two senior accountants, contract manager, and accounts payable clerk – in addition to supervising the Human Resources Manager and overseeing Just A Start’s outsourced IT services.
- Provide oversight, strategic management and control of all the financial-related activities.
- Provide and ensure that required financial support is provided to all departments.
- Safeguard assets and assure financial stability.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the organization’s finance and accounting functions.
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting to program directors, the Executive Director and the Board Finance Committee.
- Supervise the management of cash flow, accounts payable, accounts receivable, invoicing, expense reports and payroll.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations that govern accounting for non-profits in general and for real estate development and asset management activities.
- Direct and implement processes for budgeting, financial reporting and contract billing.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts.
- Support and lead team in maintaining, improving and implementing an asset management system including:
- Preparation and filing of all reports required of lenders, state and federal agencies;
- Work with property managers in establishment of property budgets; and
- Develop policies and procedures to track performance targets.
- Provide financial training for program directors and managers as needed.
- Develop and maintain financial and accounting policies and procedures to provide best practices for internal controls.
- Supervise finance and accounting staff.
- Manage relationship and primary contact for auditors, banking, lenders and other financial partners.
- Oversee Information Technology functions for the agency.
- Oversee Human Resources functions, including benefits management.
Organizational Strategy and Results
- Together with the executive leadership team, develop the strategy to ensure that the organization has the financial resources needed to achieve its current and future goals, while mitigating financial and operational risk.
- Serve as a key advisor to the Board of Directors, and convener of the Board’s Finance Committee.
- Approve annual corporate consolidated financial statements.
- Ensure effective management and support to general operations, including human resources and information systems.
Real Estate Development
- Work collaboratively with Real Estate Development staff and with real estate financial consultant to review potential acquisitions, debt, equity and public subsidy proposals and partnership/operating agreements.
- Review key legal agreements, including mortgages, loan documents, subordination agreement and guarantees as part of a financing and construction loan closing that may involve Low Income Housing Tax Credits, Historic Tax Credits, New Market Tax Credits, bond financing, public subsidies and contracts, and/or private debt.
- In conjunction with the Real Estate Development staff, real estate financial consultant, and auditors, oversee equity draws, project cost certifications and other specialized reporting to investors and government.
Board and Committees
- Attend all Board of Director meetings (6 annually).
- Coordinate activities of the Board Finance Committee, including developing agendas and providing reports on financial, investment and organizational performance and projections and other information to committee members in a well-organized, accurate and timely fashion.
- Commitment to Just A Start’s mission.
- Three-five years’ experience as a Director of Finance & Administration or comparable leadership role at a not-for-profit organization, preferably one with housing and real estate holdings.
- Knowledge and experience with real estate accounting and finance, preferably in affordable multi-family housing.
- Demonstrated experience with design and implementation of enhanced financial systems and procedures.
- Public accounting experience desired.
- Knowledge and experience leading teams.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
- High level of integrity and dependability, with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Team player to mentor and develop staff to improve their effectiveness and build their leadership skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Use of collaborative and facilitative approach and the flexibility to work with broad range of cultures, personalities, and work styles.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare clear, accurate and well-organized written and financial reports, and to communicate verbally in an effective and concise manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with expertise in Excel, and strong background with accounting software programs. Experience with Sage Intacct and Bill.com, preferred.
This is a 37.5-hour per week hybrid remote/in-the-office position, which is entitled to full employee benefits including health, dental and retirement.
All employees and long-term consultants are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID and are required follow the organization's established COVID protocols.
In addition to a competitive salary, Just A Start offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 13 paid holidays, 1 day of Volunteer Time Off, and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
About Just A Start
Just A Start believes that access to stable housing and sustainable careers are the essential building blocks of vibrant and equitable communities. For 54 years, we have focused on meeting those fundamental needs of individuals and families who have been systematically denied opportunities to realize their full potential. We develop and connect residents with affordable housing, train residents for family-sustaining careers, provide a range of support services in Cambridge and beyond.
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. Together, we strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.