Project Manager, Real Estate
Just A Start Corporation (Just A Start) is looking for a Project Manager, or a Senior Project Manager, to join our Real Estate team. Just A Start is a Cambridge (MA) based community development corporation (CDC) dedicated to promoting equity by creating access to stable housing and building pathways to economic opportunity. We build and preserve affordable housing, offer education and workforce training, and provide housing resources and services to low-to moderate-income people in Cambridge and nearby communities.
Real Estate at Just A Start
Over the past five years, Just A Start has completed $150 million in affordable housing development projects across the city of Cambridge. We have an active pipeline that includes five major new projects with approximately 250 new apartments and condominiums, including affordable rental, homeownership, and mixed-use developments. Just A Start’s projects meet the needs of our community across the Cambridge/Somerville area, with a focus on family housing and green building.
Just A Start’s Real Estate team consists of five professionals working collaboratively to create quality affordable housing and space for community programs. In addition to the Director, the department currently includes four Project Managers. These full-time staff are supplemented by part-time asset and construction management consultants. We partner with Just A Start’s other departments—including Adult Education, Youthbuild, Housing Services, and Communications—and approximately 50 staff to support unique projects and programs building pathways to economic opportunity.
The Project Manager
With support from senior development team members, the Project Manager would manage one of Just A Start’s active real estate projects from inception to completion. They would manage the project team of consultants and professional service firms on their project. A qualified Senior Project Manager would manage more than one project, with support from junior staff and consultants.
Key Responsibilities would include many of the following:
- Support Just A Start’s active projects focusing on budget, scheduling, financing, inspections, design, and permitting
- Support new development pipeline through feasibility analyses
- Assemble financing applications to secure public and private resources
- Work closely with the design and construction team on all physical elements of the development process, including contractor selection, construction management, monitoring budgets, schedules, requisitions, reporting and warranty management
- Manage lease-up and/or sales and marketing activities with property managers and development team, and transition to operational phase of development
- Support the financial closing process
- Coordinate and facilitate public meetings and presentations, and
- Other real estate related tasks as assigned.
We seek an enthusiastic self-starter with many of the following skills and qualifications:
- At least two years of work experience in architecture, planning, real estate development, construction, community development or a related field
- Familiarity with financing sources used for large scale affordable housing development projects, including Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and HUD financing programs
- BA/BS degree, additional work experience may be substituted for degree.
- Ability to develop feasibility analyses, monitor project budgets, and create pro formas
- Experience facilitating team and public meetings
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and
This is a 37.5-hour per week hybrid remote/in-the-office position, which is entitled to full employee benefits including health, dental and retirement.
All employees and long-term consultants are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID and are required follow the organization's established COVID protocols.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Starting Salary ($75-100K Annual)
In addition to a competitive salary, Just A Start offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 13 paid holidays, VTO (Volunteer Time Off) and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
About Just A Start
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. Together, we strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.