Digital Navigator Fellow
To pilot an effort to assist residents of Just A Start housing to secure affordable internet access, low-cost devices, provide information on how to use them, and coaching in introductory digital skills so the residents can become effective home internet users. The Digital Navigator will also troubleshoot connectivity and device issues. The Digital Navigator’s work is a key part of Just A Start’s efforts to address digital equity. The Digital Navigator will work with Just A Start’s Resident Services Coordinators to identify and introduce them to residents. The Digital Navigator will participate in shaping the services and in evaluating what works. The Fellowship is for a 6-month period, but may be extended.
To help design and carry out the delivery of digital navigation services to the residents living in Just A Start housing.
- Identify and assess individual residents’ digital needs based on their stated goals. Agree on goals of digital navigator services.
- Check in regularly with Resident Services Coordinators for referrals and assistance in delivering services to residents.
- Promptly respond to requests for assistance by residents.
- Assist residents to sign up with low-cost internet providers and enrolling qualified residents in the Affordable Connectivity Program.
- Assist in trouble-shooting connectivity issues in residents’ apartments when necessary.
- Connect residents to free/low-cost computers, hot spots, or related equipment.
- Assist residents in setting up a computer, tablet or other devices for home use.
- Assist residents in setting up smartphone email, voicemail and other apps.
- Coach residents as necessary to use their home internet services in order to meet their internet use priorities. This may include in-person, phone and on-line interactions, as well as referral to sources of additional digital literacy skills training.
- Hold “computer lab” hours weekly in the Community Room at Just a Start’s apartment building at 402 Rindge Avenue and at 243 Broadway.
- Keep up to date on digital resources available to residents.
- Track individual residents’ progress and types of requests, keep accurate and timely records in Salesforce, and report outcomes as required.
- Assist in evaluating and changing digital navigation pilot on an on-going basis.
- Graduated in good standing from Just A Start’s IT Careers program.
- Skilled in hardware trouble-shooting and in supporting technology users.
- Skilled in technology and digital communication tools including text, voice, email, and video conferencing. Familiar with both PC and Apple operating systems.
- Excellent telephone, online, and in-person communication skills, including the ability to establish trust with residents of varied educational, age, ability, health and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability and desire to teach basic technological concepts related to internet services, computers and devices, and common online services and applications.
- Is patient and client-centered, and uses a strengths-based approach to teaching.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, and negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, establish appropriate boundaries with residents and to demonstrate innovation and flexibility.
- Ability to work within a team and with other providers.
- Ability to learn how to track work in Salesforce.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Bengali, Amharic, Chinese, or Hindi preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reporting to the Director of Housing, this is a 37.5-hour per week hybrid remote/in-the-office position and is entitled to full employee benefits including health, dental and retirement. Will consider part-time applications. This position requires travel to several sites in Cambridge, MA. Mainly business hours, occasional evenings. Some flexibility on hours.
All employees and long-term consultants are required to be fully vaccinated and follow the organization's established protocols regarding COVID.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a non-exempt position. In addition to a competitive salary, starting between $26-$30 per hour, Just A Start offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 13 paid holidays, VTO (Volunteer Time Off) and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
ABOUT JUST A START:
Just A Start believes that access to stable housing and sustainable careers are the essential building blocks of equitable communities. For more than 50 years, we have focused on meeting the fundamental needs of individuals and families who have been systematically denied opportunities to realize their full potential. Our programs include affordable housing, education and job training and comprehensive support services, spanning Cambridge and beyond.
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. Together, we strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.