Associate Director of Real Estate
Just A Start Corporation is looking for an Associate Real Estate Director to join our Real Estate team. Over the past five years, Just A Start has completed $150 million in affordable housing development projects and has a pipeline that includes five major new projects (with approximately 250 new apartments and condos), including affordable rental, homeownership, and mixed-use developments. Just A Start’s projects meet the needs of our community with a focus on family housing and green building.
The candidate will report to and work closely with the Real Estate Director and will help lead and support Project Management, along with a focus on prospecting, pipeline development, and relationship management.
Just a Start’s Real Estate team consists of five professionals working collaboratively to create quality affordable housing and space for community programs. In addition to the Director, the department currently includes four dedicated project managers. These full-time staff members are supplemented by part-time asset and construction management consultants. We partner with Just A Start’s other departments—including Adult Education, YouthBuild, Housing Services, and Communications—and approximately 45 staff members to support unique projects and programs building pathways to economic opportunity.
- Training and Support of Project Management Team: The Associate Director will lead and support project managers on multiple projects, including budget, scheduling, financing, inspections, design, and permitting.
- Review project budgets and schedules. Support project team to adjust and problem solve as needed.
- Ensure projects meet standards for quality, affordability, workforce diversity, and community engagement
- Manage process for development team identification, selection and related negotiations.
- Work closely with the design and construction team on the development process, including contractor selection, construction management, monitoring budgets, schedules, requisitions, reporting and warranty management.
- Coordinate and facilitate public meetings and presentations.
- Perform administrative and other duties required for successful project management.
- Prospecting and Pipeline Development: The Associate Director will source and negotiate acquisition and redevelopment opportunities within Just A Start’s target markets.
- Create and monitor prospecting plans to achieve portfolio growth in accordance with organizational strategic plan
- Partner Relationship Development: Build and foster strategic internal and external relationships.
- BA/BS degree, with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience developing multi-family housing.
- Experience in architecture, planning, real estate development, construction, community development or related field.
- Familiarity with financing sources used for large-scale affordable housing development projects, including Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and HUD financing programs.
- Experience with mixed-use or commercial development projects preferred.
- Experience with green building, building science and energy conservation.
- Ability to develop feasibility analyses, create pro formas and monitor project budgets.
- Experience navigating zoning laws, codes and permitting regulations.
- Experience facilitating team and public meetings.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Asana, and Slack preferred.
Salary and Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, Just A Start offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, dental insurance, short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, 20 PTO days in the first year, 13 paid holidays, VTO (Volunteer Time Off), and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, this position is hybrid with partial hours in the office. The position will be on-site at Just A Start headquarters at a future date.
This is a 37.5-hour per week hybrid remote/in-the-office position and is entitled to full employee benefits including health, dental and retirement.
All employees and long-term consultants are required to be fully vaccinated and follow the organization’s established protocols regarding COVID.
About Just A Start
Just A Start believes that access to stable housing and sustainable careers are the essential building blocks of equitable communities. For more than 50 years, we have focused on meeting the fundamental needs of individuals and families who have been systemically denied opportunities to realize their full potential. Our programs include affordable housing, education and job training, and comprehensive support services, spanning Cambridge and beyond.
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. Together, we strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.